Thursday, September 1, 2011

What does it mean to be a "reader"?

When I hear the word “reading”, I immediately think of an English class or something pertaining to literature.  But what I have come to learn is that reading is not limited to stories.

            Reading is a way of life.  Everything we do involves reading whether it be driving down the street and looking at a stop sign or interpreting a situation by using other people’s body language as reference.  Now, there are many different languages such as Spanish, French and English but also there are languages without words. 

            So first off I will start off on an unconventional note.  As a trumpet player, I have learned and become familiar with the language of music.  You might think that sounds silly but if you are familiar with music in any way, you would know that, other than notes, there are a lot of symbols and signs to read.  Some symbols inform the reader what note to play and how to play it.  A note with “^” on top of it signals the musician to play the note short and loud.  But just like any other language, music takes time, practice and repetitiveness to nail down.  For me, music is a story without words.  Every author or composer has a purpose for writing novels or music.  They want to present their point of view to the public.  But what good is a book that is unread.  The same goes for music.  As a musician I like playing the music to build the story that the composer has intended audiences to hear.  Since I am in the top band at my school, I consider myself to be a fluent reader of music.

            Now for the more orthodox definition of reading.  I have never been a big-time reader.  Growing up I read mostly series books so when I finished a book I would have another book that I could start reading.  That worked well until I finished the series.  Finding books to read has always been difficult for me which is why my parents just gave me stories to read and forced me to read them.  I will admit that some of the books I read, I did enjoy.  I loved the Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis and The Magic Tree House, by Marie Pope Osborne.  That was elementary school.
           
High school brought about a new perspective on reading in English classes, one with which I was more familiar.  Students were now required by the teacher to read all kinds of interesting literary works.  I have enjoyed nearly all of the books I have read in high school so far.  I love these high school level books because of the complexity that each book contains.  One of my favorite novels is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I connected effortlessly to this story and enjoyed the adventures and lives of Scout and Jem. 

            I hope someday I will discover a love for literature that I lack now as a teenager as well as to appreciate music.  I love the clichéd idea of grabbing a book and snuggling up next to a crackling fire to enjoy what an author has to offer. 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment